The George Eliot Connection
An interesting but often overlooked fact is that the grandparents of the famous author George Eliot, Isaac and Ann Pearson, are buried in St. Wilfrid’s graveyard.
The author’s actual name was Mary Ann Evans.
This is the inscription on the grave headstone in the churchyard.
Near this place are interred the remains of ISAAC PEARSON who changed time for eternity the 2nd day of January 1829 in the 85th year of his age ANN the wife of ISAAC PEARSON who departed this life June 22nd 1797 aged 48 years Likewise four of their children who died in their infancy.
These documents, taken from Arley Parish registers, show the connection of Isaac and Ann Pearson with St. Wilfrid’s Church.
Mary Ann Evans was born near the village and the rural scenes of the area influenced her writing, she probably knew St.Wilfrid’s well.

The Marriage Entry

The baptism entry of Isaac, the son of Isaac and Ann. It’s the penultimate entry on the right-hand side.

The burial entry of Isaac Pearson. It’s the last entry on the right hand side.

This is a record of the burial of Ann.
Mary Ann Evan’s Family Tree
